Child Support Attorney – Summerville, SC

Handling  child support, visitation, and more.

Facing challenges with child support?


Are you going through a divorce? A breakup?

Do you share a child with your ex?

Whatever your situation, you are now in the position of determining how you will continue providing for your child.

Asking for the monetary support your child needs and deserves is nothing to be ashamed of. It isn’t a handout. It isn’t charity.

This is understandably a very difficult time in your life, and an attorney who practices child support law can help point you in the right direction.

But first, you may be asking yourself questions like …

  • Who will pay who?
  • How much will I get paid?
  • Does it matter that my ex doesn’t have a job?
  • How long will I receive payments?

… and so much more.

Frequently Asked Child Support Questions

Every child support case is different since this type of case is very driven by the details. I answer questions about child support cases frequently. Below are a few of the most common ones I hear.

1. How is child support calculated?

Child support is determined by using a formula. It takes into consideration a number of different factors, including:

  • the gross income of each parent;
  • how many children live in the home;
  • health insurance costs;
  • childcare costs;
  • any alimony payments being received by either parent, and many others.

2. Can child support ever be modified?

Yes! Child support orders are not written in stone. All that is needed to warrant a hearing is “a substantial change in circumstances.”

Here are a few examples of a substantial change in circumstances:

  • Your child has a costly health concern, requiring extraordinary medical expenses.
  • You are receiving child support from the same person for more than one child, one of which has aged out of child support.
  • Your ex now has primary custody of the child instead of you.

3. What happens if my ex doesn’t pay when he/she is supposed to?

If you stop receiving child support payments all together, or are consistently receiving them late, you do have options. Child support can be enforced in a few ways, including:

  • wage withholding,
  • fines,
  • license revocation,
  • income tax offset,
  • liens, and more.

4. Do I need an attorney to handle my child support case?

You are not required to have a child support attorney, but it is a good idea. Child support can be changed, but it isn’t a walk in the park to do so. You want to get it right the first time. When providing for your child is on the line, you need someone who regularly navigates these cases.

People Turn To Me When …

People automatically equate child support cases with divorce. While divorce cases that involve children do have a child support component, a child support case can stem from any type of relationship in which a child was born and the parents are no longer together, if they ever were. Every case has its own set of facts and circumstances. Every client has their own end goal in mind.

Here are a few examples of why people may turn to me:

  • They are going through a divorce, share children with their soon to be ex-spouse, and want to file for child support.
  • They have a current child support order, but want to know if the amount can be raised or lowered.
  • They want to get remarried and are concerned how it would affect child support.
  • They share a child with another person and are seeking child support, in addition to a paternity determination.

“Jennilee is truly professional and extremely knowledgeable in her field of Law. She assisted me through a difficult time in my life,making the process as easy and stress free as possible with wonderful results.”

— Thank You, Peter C.

What should you do next?

Choosing a child support attorney can be difficult. You need someone you can trust and feel comfortable talking to. Start by setting up a consultation and see if you and the attorney are a good fit.

I encourage you to check out my testimonials, read my Google reviews and then decide if you think we should take the next steps.

If you are ready to take the next step, please call 843-970-2929 or click here to send me an email.

Ready to speak with a child support attorney in Summerville, SC?

Questions? Speak with Jennilee.

She's ready to help.